Thursday, November 30, 2006

The Search for Insignificance

While John the Baptist was baptizing he was approached by his followers with a comment about Jesus:

"Rabbi, He who was with you beyond the Jordan, to whom you have testified, behold, He is baptizing and all are coming to Him."

Up to this point, John was getting all the attention. But, now, with Jesus on the scene, his popularity was waning.

John's response to this?

"A man can receive nothing unless it has been given him from heaven. You yourselves are my witnesses that I said, 'I am not the Christ,' but 'I have been sent ahead of Him.'...So this joy of mine has been made full. He must increase, but I must decrease."

What a beautiful picture of humility. Realizing his mission and that it was to be accomplished, John's joy is increased. Even more remarkable about this is that John was becoming a side-show. He was no longer the main event. Jesus - the one prophesized about - had come.

O that I might have the heart of John. His one true aim in life was to make Christ known and then, to get out of the way.

Lord, grant me the head and heart realization that you did not come to make us well-known, but to make Jesus Christ famous - that all the world would look on Him and lift Him up. Thank you.

No comments: