Sunday, January 07, 2007

Trusting in Chariots

Being one who is amazed at the miracle of flight, but not one who relishes being in flight, I am struck at the mental gymastics that I go through prior to entering a flight and during a flight. Some of my thoughts go something like this: "This airline has never had a catostrophic incident - I'll be okay"; "Flying is safer than driving - and so driving is when I should really be scared"; "Would I be scared right now, knowing that at days end, there would be no crashes, or no minor hiccups with this flight?"

After a few of these thoughts, I rest and trust, knowing the odds are likely in my favor.

But, my trust is short-lived - and misplaced. If I continue in these thought patterns, I will have to perform mental cartwheels, every time I fear, distrust, or find myself worrying. I need a firmer foundation.

The Psalmist writes, "Some trust in chariots and some in horses, but we trust in the name of the Lord our God."

and, "The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge."

It is an indictment on my heart that I take my refuge in chances, in odds and the ingenuity of fellow man - and not my God - my Rock.

When planes lose engines, and bridges fall, when cancer strikes all the bones, and sickness never seems to end - whom will never falter or sway? It is our Lord, our Redeemer, or Stronghold. In what or whom else can we trust?

Lord, give me a heart that trusts in You above all else. In times of plenty and times of want. Thank you.

1 comment:

Chris Krycho said...

Amen. Thanks for this post, brother... and sorry it's been a while since I stopped in.