Friday, April 06, 2007

10 Years After

Yesterday, was the tenth anniversary of my father's death. It's amazing to think on, because it seemed like it was that - just yesterday.

When I think back about dad - I am filled with precious memories and things that I will take with me for as long as I have memory.

I find it odd, some of the things that come to mind when I think of him...

The way in which he would sit at the kitchen table, off to the side, legs crossed. How he'd wear his pants, hitched way up past his belly. The Hush Puppies. The towel around the neck in the summertime, collar flipped up. His teethy grin. The odd manner in which he would swing a golf club.

What I cherish most - and what I hold on to most is the way in which he lived his life. His was one of peace and diplomacy. His gentle, yet authoritative nature put me at ease. I thought, "if dad is here, everything will be okay."

He lived humbly. He didn't make a lot of money. Didn't seek fame or fortune.

He was devoted to two main things: Jesus first - and family second.

His was not an uncommon life lived amongst the daily grind. Yet there was a peace about him that was uncommon and unwordly.

And, even in his death, that peace endured. On the morning of April 5, 1997, he told my mother, "Jesus is going to take me home today." And so it was fitting that he went to be, where we all belong - back into the arms of our Savior.

Lord, I pray that you were honored in my father's life and death. And, I pray, that you might make all your children shine forth your love and that when we die - your name would be lifted up and not ours.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed your post Aaron. I am reminded of many of the same things after my mother passed away in 2003. Praise God that we will one day see them again.